thechristiandemocrat

born again democrat speaks out.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Easter

Easter is the most precious Christian holiday. When I was a kid, I loved Christmas better. Of course. Tons of toys. Being showered with presents is a great thing. Christmas is about the baby Jesus, and every kid understands birth, because children are near to birth. Brothers and sisters get born, new cousins, friends of Mom and Dad are in the childbearing years, so babies are everywhere. To celebrate a baby's birth, and to get tons of presents, now that 's understandable. Easter was different. A new outfit, of course., and a bunch of chocolate. Coloring and finding easter eggs was a fun game, with the inevitable lost stinky one turning up under the couch in July. Easter is about death and resurrection. Death. Rebirth. The kinds of things that older folks have on their minds. Easter is more real to me now, than as a child. I wonder about death a lot, after my father's death two years ago. Most of his "greatest generation" with their swing music, money hustling and love, are gone. Now we're on the line. It's our turn at the ferris wheel. In my 50's, I feel I'm on top of the ride, with an overview that only longevity can produce. Yet, I know that I'm on my way down, now, ever so gently. I look forward to Easter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home